The newest goal in our house is to visit the library at least once a month. I want the brats to be more involved in picking out their free-reading books. As it stood, I picked out the books, bought them, and gave them to the kids to read. Sure, I could still buy the books with them picking them out, but I want them to be able to pick up all the books that they think look interesting, then discover which ones deliver. I do not have the budget to do that at a bookstore. So now, for free-reading, they can start and stop books based on interest. I will still be assigning books for school reading.
The brats weren't the only reason I was leaning towards visiting the library more often. I have an interest as well. I have noticed that since acquiring my first Kindle four years ago, my interest in reading has slowly decreased. I've finally decided it is because I do not enjoy reading on my Kindle as much as I enjoy reading paper books. I also miss going to a bookstore/library and browsing for books. Looking for books via Amazon.com is just not the same. Since moving back to paper books, my interest in reading has significantly increased.
Here are our library finds this time around:
Me
Mary Jane (11)
Kaden (8)
Eliza (3)
I know it looks like I didn't get much, but I am interested in reading two of the books MJ picked out—Fire and Bitterblue. Plus, I have a pile of used books (hopefully a post on this soon) I just purchased that should keep me plenty busy.
MJ started reading The Hunger Games first, and is really liking it so far. I don't know if she'll get to the other two because she stopped reading Graceling to try The Hunger Games. I'm pretty sure we will be doing some renewing with her.
Kaden finished Captain Raptor in the car while we ran errands after our trip to the library. He loved it and wants to check out others in the series. He is currently reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid and liking it. Both MJ and Kaden, along with many of their friends, really find these books entertaining. I'm interested to see if he will like the Hardy Boys book he picked out as my brothers really enjoyed them.
Naturally, we have read all of Eliza's books over and over again. She likes Bad Kitty the best, and has already picked out the book in the series that she wants to read next—she found it on the inside flap. I like Me... Jane the best. The illustrations are gorgeous. I dislike Bad Kitty, but can understand why it appeals to Eliza. When Louis Armstrong Taught Me Scat could have been really great, but it just didn't do it for me. The scatting is pretty awesome, but the story is choppy and all over the place.
No comments:
Post a Comment